Monday, March 19, 2007

Changes

After a weekend which can only be described as the perfect getaway at home, I found myself awaiting a new week, with fresh deadlines and mundane details of grad life. It only seemed prudent to prepare myself and work a little, to rub away that guilt of wiling time. It was at this point that I was distracted by the ever so interesting concept of youtube and ran across the video by Them clones. Very few of few would know about this band from Delhi which has been maturing into quite an act. Good music is one thing but to have a music video, in my opinion is quite unprecedented.



The video as you might be able to see is not much of a technical breakthrough but at least it qualifies as one. This got me thinking about the recent developments I had witnessed in the Indian independent music scene. I remember writing about the pretentious rock culture of Delhi in the fledgling rock circuit of India. I think I stand corrected. I am sure the pretension is still laid on thick but the number of outlets amazes me no end. My claims being backed by the discovery of the Indian Rock Radio Station "RadioVerve". It is online of course, for God only knows, how many people would care for the death riffs to air over our FM waves. It is start nevertheless. A start which makes me rather hopeful because here I find a bunch of the stereotyped Indian software pros, quitting their jobs and working on popularizing the Indian music scene. The Indian bands still claim the lack of production values however I find that to be not that big a deal. But then I am no expert.

All in all, I believe things are definitely looking up and the quality of music is as good as always. I do dream of playing some of the stuff from back home on WRPI, the local radio station, but then that is just a dream. All I can hope for now is that I catch all the good stuff coming out of the Indian music scene.

4 comments:

Gaurav said...

Hey!

I am Gaurav, one of the guys that runs 'RadioVeRVe'. Thanks firstly for writing about us ...

Just clarifying .. we haven't yet quit our jobs, we sure do hope that we can soon because of RadioVeRVe though! but yes ... promoting Indian music is what led us to start this and we do need all the support and help we can get!

Do let me know if you have any ideas for what RadioVeRVe can do and stuff we should be looking at etc ..

-Gaurav

Icarus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Icarus said...

@ Gaurav
First of all I do apologise for any assumption on my part. Off the top of my head, I feel t would be better if the programming was clearly demarcated in terms of genre. Set up specific shows and that makes it easier for the listener to choose what he wants to listen to.
Personally I want to help you guys out in anyway I can and please do let me know if anything can be done from here.

Gaurav said...

Hey Icarus!

No problems at all man .. no apologies needed. We are in the process of demarcating stations and getting genre specific stuff happening. You should see that on the site soon.

Why dont you drop in an email to music at radioverve dot com and I will get back to you about stuff that we need help with and we can take it from there ...