Saturday, October 14, 2006

Lateral thinking

And as I had promised myself, I am back with the hope to make this weekly post a habit. Anyways, its been getting busy. Tests and assignments come together without any obvious respect for each other and even less for me. But that's what its about I suppose. And through all this, I have managed to listen to a find a new set of bands. It can be better described as a theme, a mood for the week.

So here I am at the end of the week, looking at a potentially busy schedule, when this thought come to mind (I think its more to do with the fact that I was listening to 'Maximum Pearl Jam' while at it). What after the Phd? What after the research RnD blah work that I am supposed to do after the Phd? I have a deep seated affection for music. So much so that it would be an insult to call it affection. So henceforth I'll refer to it as 'thing', something a bit more derogatory but vague nevertheless. So here I am, perusing a PDF on camera calibration that I decide that, when I am 50 I'd like to own a record label. (No, I haven't decided a name for it...yet...but by the end of this assignment for sure). The reason is, while I love music so much, I am relatively retarded when it comes to playing instruments (which I decided after a couple of abortive attempts at learning them) and in public interest have decided not to sing (actually I am not sure, there could even be a law in the US that gives the cops the right to jail bad singers...I don't want to take chances). That leaves me with producing music. I am good at that. I comment and criticize, but never overbearing let me add.

So why a record label, I don't know, perhaps because, it gives me sufficient say in the production and I am the king. Its not going to be a big label mind you. Just a label that gives a break to new bands with a good sound and good ideas. It would be absolutely THE thing to do for me. I could perhaps rope in a few of my bigshot friends to help me out. It will be absolutely fantabulous. The thought of it is refreshing, something nice to look forward to. But for the time being I think I have dreamed enough. I have paved enough road to last me till the next assignment. I should really be getting back to work.

I think they call it the butterfly effect. If I don't work now, I'll screw up my chances of getting a good job, which affects my chance of earning the big bucks without which I will not have my label. So for the sake of my would be label...full steam ahead...camera calibration...Sophisticated crap.

Bands/Artists of the week


Starsailor
The Fray
The sounds
The Dandy Warhols
Anoushka Shankar
Deep Forest
Vanessa Mae

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I one of the big shot friends or the band with good sounds and good ideas? Perhaps you should call it "Owned roads" Records :D

Anonymous said...

sahi hain boss, but u are getting yankized. using words like fantabulous. And ofc the "wassup"

Anonymous said...

your blog makes interesting reading!!!