Monday, October 09, 2006

To new places and unsettling times


I am a born cribber or so people say. I must confess that most of the time my rants are more of an effort to make conversation but then again, I can make no excuse in this regard. I do realise that this blog has been left ignored for a long time and I suppose an explanation is warranted. hmmm..i have finally managed to get myself, half way across the world to the US. While that is something that I always wanted to do, I finally realise the seriousness of my decision and as I, rather, all of us grow older, we realise the importance of making the right choice. Anyways as things stand, I am now a commited PhD student (the seriousness of which is heavy on my mind). But I suppose there is some degree of satisfaction in knowing what I'll be doing for the next five years. I am looking at a life of certainity and security, hopefully.

Allow me to tell you a little bit about my alma mater (if I may) for the coming years. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (the spelling of which is only a week old addition to my dictionary) or for simplicity's sake, RPI is a damn old school. It is almost two hundred years old. But for a school that old its really small. I don't really mind that, in fact its nice to have a small university. It makes for a nice short walk usually. So here I am, at a small school perched on top of a hill overlooking the Hudson. It is a really beautiful place. The winters however, are a killer it seems. I have not yet seen one, but I have told of scary stories. Lets see. They say good things happen to those who wait...I am waiting. When I was coming here, I was told that it'll be a bit difficult for people coming from cities to adjust, I did not make a big deal of it. But I would say my rants have grown exponentially over the past to months. They will soon subside as I resign to the place and accept the fact and start enjoying life.

The good thing about not having much to do around here however is that, I am growing adventurous. I joined the first dance classes in my life. So yours truly is now officially learning the Argentine Tango. Its getting hard but I am getting there. I think this has been a rather disjoint account. I blame it on the months in between when I feel, have lost all touch with writing. But I'll get back on track and try and keep up a lively account.

Till then, adios amigos.

PS : It is an interesting coincidence however that I am putting this up exactly two months after landing here.

No comments: